Mactan Island is a very well-known place to visit both locals and foreign. Since the Mactan-Cebu International Airport is located within Mactan, a lot of foreigners who are traveling to Cebu City will most likely to stay in Mactan since Mactan has so many beautiful beaches and islands to visit. Mactan has a lot of high-end establishments ranging from hotels, restaurants to beaches and resorts.
There’s a lot of islands where you can visit with your island hopping in Mactan adventure and here are some of the famous islands to visit; Caohagan Island, Hilutungan Island, Nalusuan Island, Olango Island, Pandanon Island and Sand Bar. And a lot more islands but these are the famous islands to visit in Mactan.
- Caohagan Island – An island covered with trees and a sand beach in the southwest. Good for diving and snorkeling.
- Hilutungan Island – 20 to 30 minutes away from Mactan Island, perfect for snorkeling and scuba diving since it has a lot of corals and fishes.
- Nalusuan Island – Nalusuan Island Marine Reserve is surrounded by coral reefs and has many fish. It is ideal for snorkeling and diving.
- Olango Island – It has a white sand on the southern part of the island and a lot of coral reefs. There’s a Bird Sanctuary, Mangrove Jungle and a Floating Restaurant in the area.
- Pandanon Island – It has a white sand and good place to swim with a visible sand bar. Not a good place to snorkel and dive.
- Sand Bar – Not suitable for diving, good for swimming and snorkeling.
Things to remember during island hopping in Mactan:
- Always listen to your guide or boatman, they know a lot more than you do.
- Pack light things. Don’t bring all of your things.
- Lots of bottled water to keep you hydrated
- Extra clothes
- Swim wear (rash guards or any swimming attire)
- Life vest and snorkel set (if you don’t have, you can rent one just ask the boatmen)
- Never stray away from your group
- Don’t throw your trashes anywhere, please keep it to your bag or pockets and throw it once you saw a trash bin elsewhere.